Since it was introduced last year, Wordle has been very popular with bloggers and the general public. So I decided to join in the fun. Here are the US and Indian Constitution wordle outputs:
Observations? Nothing surprising here.
- Putting aside Law, observe the emphasis on Legislature, Legislative, and Court in the Indian constitution. Neither of these are prominent in the US Constitution.
- Government is prominent in the Indian constitution. Nothing like that in the US.
- Citizens are People in India, and Majority is not so important in the constitution as in the US.
- Time is easily visible in the US, not in India.
Oh, the more you look at it, the more you’ll find stuff!
Sudheendra Kulkarni says that major political parties in India are taking manifesto preparation very seriously. He says:
When it comes to manifestos of political parties, a section of the intelligentsia and the media exhibits a dismissive tendency that riles political activists like me. A major national daily last week called manifesto-making nothing but a “cut-and-paste” job. This tendency is symptomatic of a larger habit of the chatterati sneering from the comfort of their well-furnished drawing rooms at all political parties, indeed at the political process in general. The reality is quite otherwise. Most political parties, especially those with a national perspective, have begun taking policy issues—and, by extension, manifesto preparation—far more seriously than before.
So let’s look at the Congress and CPI (M) 2009 Election Manifestos. The BJP one is expected this week. I’ve removed ‘Indian’, ‘National’, and ‘Congress’ from the Congress one, and ‘CPI’ from the CPI(M) one.
- Public Sector and workers are obviously very dear to the Left, while the Congress is betting a lot of money on youth.
- Women are equally important to both parties.
- Protect – clearly visible in the CPI(M) – is nowhere in the Congress, while it is strongly focusing on something New.
- Police finds a reasonable mention in Congress, while I couldn’t find it in the CPI(M).
- Growth is huge for Congress, it is nowhere in the CPI(M).
- Reforms are equally low on the agenda of both parties.😦
I had earlier mentioned Text Analysis Tools, but Wordle makes it simpler and more fun than ever before!